In March 2018, Creative United and Take it away, announced an important and exciting partnership with Drake Music, OHMI Trust and Open Up Music.
The aims of this partnership include:
- Improving our collective understanding of the potential demand for adapted and specialist musical instruments for use by disabled children and adults across the UK
- Enabling existing prototype adaptations and instruments such as the Clarion to be taken further into small scale batch production for wider distribution and use
- Exploring ways in which we can develop and train a workforce that has the knowledge and skills to introduce and demonstrate adaptive instruments located in ‘centres of music retail excellence’ around the UK
- Providing financial assistance to families and individuals that need access to these types of instruments by providing a combination of grants and loans to ensure equality of access for all
If you are interested in hearing more please get in touch.
- Drake Music are leaders in music, disability & technology – breaking down barriers to music for 25 years working with disabled people at every level, from school children to professional musicians.
- Drake Music work to create opportunities and instruments that make music fully accessible, to increase participation in music-making at all levels and to build a musical culture where disabled and non-disabled musicians can work together as equals.
- The OHMI Trust is a UK-based charity pioneering the development and adaptation of musical instruments for those who are physically disabled. Any deficiency or disability in one hand or arm makes traditional instruments unplayable to any reasonable standard. As a result, millions across the world are excluded from music-making for the lack of suitable instruments.
- This includes people with congenital disabilities, amputees, those who have suffered a stroke, developed arthritis, cerebral palsy and hemiplegic. The organisation was established in 2011 by Dr. Stephen Hetherington, who began his career as an orchestral musician. It was Stephen’s own hemiplegic daughter, Amy, who alerted him to the lack of instruments available to disabled musicians.
- OpenUp Music empowers young disabled musicians to build inclusive youth orchestras. Together they develop accessible musical instruments and repertoire, challenge expectations and forge new progression routes through the creation of great music
Stay in touch
For general news and updates about Take it away, please sign up to our mailing list.